24 March 2012

A Challenge (or Looking for Trouble?)

This post has potentially has two titles - (1) A Challenge or (2) Looking for Trouble.

You see, I suddenly have this need to put my piecing skills to the test. You may as well know that I'm the sort that tends to just whizz away at the sewing machine. Of course I measure and mark and pin, errr, most times. Generally though, I prefer to eyeball things and just wing it. Bad - don't follow.

But patchwork and quilting is really about precision piecing isn't it? You should see the people at my LQS. They are so, so, SO accurate. Every time I see their work I get this feeling I can't explain - sort of like wanting to pull out all my hair and jump up and down at the same time. Know what I mean?

Anyways, I've decided to be brave, and challenge myself. I'm going to try making a simple (and small!) patchwork piece as a test. So I've cut out some 1.5" squares. I figured the smaller the better, as they will be less forgiving. See the one deep red square at the top? Hee, I added that deliberately. I like having a feature that obviously doesn't belong thrown in.


Then I measured exactly a quarter inch from my sewing machine needle, and stuck a post-it as a marker (tip found on the internet) for me to line up my fabric while sewing.


Now I'm all set. A bit nervous. But all set. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Mila@Rimbun said...

Precision is a must. and its much more of learning through experience I think. Lucky that my hi-speed normal footer is on 1/4 inch seam on both side...really a great help in getting the right allowance.