02 August 2010

Tutorial - Half Square Triangles

Since I started this blog I've had a few questions from friends on how a quilt is put together. While I try my best to explain, it's a bit difficult without actually demonstrating how it works.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm certain that most people who come across this blog are already experts at piecing, and definitely don't need this tutorial at all. This is for the beginners, or those who think they might be (even just a little bit) interested. Read on, I hope you catch the quilting bug!


Right then, for Half Square Triangles:

First, cut 2 squares, each of a different fabric. Note there should be some contrast to the 2 fabric. The squares can be any size, I've made mine 4 inches X 4 inches.



Secondly, take a pencil and a ruler, and draw a line diagonally down the wrong side (ie the back side) of one of the squares. I normally do this on the lighter fabric.



Next, align the squares right sides together. Remember now, make sure the right sides of each fabric face together. Just like in the next photo:



Now you need your sewing machine. Or I suppose you can do this by hand also. Stitch down either side of the pencil line you drew earlier, with a 1/4 inch seam allowance. That means the distance between the pencil line and the stitching line is 1/4 inch. Don't forget to sew on both sides of the pencil line.



How's everyone doing so far? Eaaaasy isn't it? Ok, just a bit more to go. Next get your scissors, and snip right down the middle of the fabric, along the pencil line you drew earlier.



Now you can open up your square, press along the sewing line and...



Congratulations!!! You have a couple of half square triangles :)



Now go make your own, quick!

3 comments:

MamaDaniel said...

nice tutorial... cik zara guna sewing machine apa yer? saya tengah survey mesin jahit.. tq..

Zara said...

Hello MamaDaniel!

Thanks for your comment. My machine is a Singer 968. It's a very old and basic one, but it works for me. When I become an expert I will find a more canggih one. They say if you're looking for a sewing machine, the weight is very important. So the heavier it is, the better. Hope you find a nice one - happy shopping!

MyBotanG said...

hi from Japan.. tumbled over here from craftzone and decided to stay.. loving your posts.. :D

Thank you for the tutorial about handling triangles.. I've this odd dislikes with triangles (mainly because I didn't know how to work with them properly up till this moment..*roll eyes*)