18 October 2010

A Finish and a Post Mortem

As promised, I got around to quilting the tiny squares baby quilt. I decided to go with simple straight line machine quilting.

Have to be honest though, I'm not too pleased with the result. For a start the quilt is a wee bit on the small side, but that's the least of my worries.

And then it's really sort of 'fluffy' for some reason. Maybe the basting wasn't done properly.

But the biggest problem in my mind is the binding job at the top of the quilt. Now things really started going wrong there, and all I can do is scratch my head and wonder why. I'm suspecting that it's the polka dot grey fabric I used for the borders. I bought it online, where it was represented to be a light-weight cotton. When the postman brought it home though, I found it to be more of a silky variety, and I had some trouble keeping it in place when I was piecing and quilting it. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful fabric, soft and silky to the touch, but perhaps just not suited to be used in a quilt by amateurs like me.

And now for the pictures...


The front:


The back:



And the ugly:



You have agree with me, that's some serious pucker action going on there.

Ah well, it's all a learning process, isn't it? And after all's said and done, I have to admit that it IS wonderfully soft and cuddly.

Now I wish it was big enough for me :-)

No comments: