29 May 2014

How To Beat The Sewing Funk (Part 3)

LITTLE PROJECTS
Continuing from yesterday’s post, the third thing I do when I’m out of ideas but still want to sew is – I make little projects. Purses, fabric boxes, bookmarks. This is a sure fire way to get your creative juices flowing. Note it has to be a SMALL project. Attempting to undertake anything big or unfamiliar is more likely to only kill your mojo (plus if you're like me you'll also be a hot swearing mess by the end of it). Is there a small project which you’ve done so many times that you can do it with your eyes closed? For me, I can do little pouches pretty decently. Not quite with my eyes closed though, ehee. So I start to make one, but the problem (if you can call it a problem) with these things is that once you make one, you can’t stop! Yes, so I make one, then 2 , then 3 and then if I'm still pumped, I switch gears and make multiples of something else.

Recent examples of this:




These little zippered pouches were double joy to make, because I got to piece scraps AND create a small project. I used squares made from 2.5” squares pre-cut during a Fabric Play and Organization exercise (see yesterday's post).

More examples:


Whoops! Wrong forum ahhahaha!


That's more like it... fabric bookmarks! There is nothing simpler.

And key fobs are pretty easy (and useful!) too:


I actually made 4 zip pouches and 4 fabric bookmarks in one sitting
 but have since given one of each away. The others will probably disappear soon too. You can't make too many of them, because they make great little surprise gifts for friends. 



So there it is - my version of how to beat the sewing blues. Hope I've inspired someone!

No comments: