So, (ever so slightly) embarassed, I got to work.
The main fabric I picked out was a dark one, because seeing that it would be used for sport (hmm, is yoga a sport?) we didn't want anything too delicate or that would soil easily. But I also decided to make a feature panel which would take the focus away from the boring main fabric. In the end I opted to try out some simple applique. I must just say that I'm NOT great with applique. If I'm perfectly honest, I might even admit to being a little scared of it. But they say practice makes perfect, and so I went ahead with my plan.
The bag itself was pretty simple to make. I used this tute. It has a lining and looks like it will hold up very well. The most 'difficult' part was making the applique panel.
The progress in pictures:
|drawing out shapes on fusible web|
|fused onto fabric|
|fused onto panel|
In the end, it wasn't too bad at all! And here's a tip I learned : interface is a must! And it also helped to have a thin piece of paper underneath the background fabric when you applique - you can always peel it away later.
Suddenly the thought of applique doesn't seem so intimidating :-) So all in all I'm well pleased.
Unfortunately I don't have a photo of the completed bag in action (duh to me). I've asked Irene for one, but because I know her, I'm not promising if or when we'll get to see that ;-)
Hope everyone's enjoying their weekend!